BEER-POACHED FISH WITH LEMON AND ROSEMARY
- 1 pack of whitefish (such as pollock, haddock, cusk, cod, whiting), cut into 3-4 portions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- 12-14oz Belgian style white beer or summer ale
- 2 large sprigs of fresh rosemary, stem removed and finely chopped
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1 TBSP brown sugar
- 4 TBSP butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Saute shallot and garlic until tender, using butter or a light oil. 2. Add beer, lemon zest, lemon juice, rosemary, brown sugar and butter. Bring to a simmer. 3. Add fish and cook on low for 5-7 minutes, being careful not to overcook. You're looking for the fish to turn opaque and white. 3. Finish with the butter and season with salt and pepper.
Side notes: Make sure you have crusty bread on the table to soak up the incredible poaching liquid. Serve with your favorite sides and the beer you used for this recipe.