Original Recipe Erin French from The Lost Kitchen
- 3 Kirby cucumbers
- 1/2 cup pitted mixed olives, cut into a 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Halve cucumbers lengthwise, scoop out and discard seeds, then cut cucumbers into a 1/4-inch dice.
- In a small bowl, combine cucumbers, olives, cilantro, lemon juice and 1/4 cup oil; season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Season tuna steak with salt and pepper. Heat a large, heavy skillet (preferably cast-iron) over high. Add 2 Tbsp oil; when it begins to shimmer, add tuna steak. Sear 1 minute, then flip and cook 30 seconds more. Add 2 Tbsp butter, melt, and cook 1 minute more. Note: we like our tuna cooked rare, if you prefer it cooked more medium feel free to add a couple minutes to your cook time.
- Using a sharp knife cut tuna steak along the bias and serve topped with olive relish.