Original Recipe by Bryan French from The Right Recipe at Crabtree Farm
3-4 ounces fresh tuna
1 generous tablespoon prepared black olive tapenade*
coarse ground black pepper
1 split English muffin
1/2 green scallion, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped tomato
1 tablespoon mayonnaise, thinned with 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon capers, drained and rinsed
1. Use a sharp knife to mince the tuna into 1/4 inch pieces then place it in a small bowl and gently stir in the tapenade and a nice big pinch of black pepper. Since some tapenades are quite salty, it is best not to add additional salt at this point. If your tapenade seems dry, add a drizzle of olive oil to the tuna.
2. Using your hands, gently mold the tuna into a patty and place it in the refrigerator to chill thoroughly, (about 30 minutes) as this will help the burger hold together while cooking.
3. When ready to serve, brush English muffin with olive oil and toast. Place tomato and green onion on bottom half of English muffin bun.
4. Heat a heavy skillet over high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil, remove the tuna burger from the refrigerator and use a spatula to gently place in in the pan.
5. Once one side is nicely seared, it will start to hold together. Cook the burger to order over high heat and serve it on the English muffin topped with the mayo mix and the capers and a sprinkle of salt if necessary.