- 1 pack of any whitefish
- 1/4 cup ginger, finely minced
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Butter or olive oil for pan frying
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup of your favorite relish
- Salt and pepper to tase
1. Chop fish into a medium mince (similar to the consistency of ground meat)
2. Put fish, ginger, panko, egg, green onion, garlic, salt and pepper into a large bowl. Mix together until ingredients are uniformly mixed.
3. Heat a nonstick pan or cast iron skillet over a medium-high heat and add butter or olive oil. (NOTE: If using butter, the butter may brown at higher heats which will add a nutty taste, toasted flavor to your cakes.)
4. Take a handful of the fish mixture and flatten into ~4'' patty roughly 1/2'' thick. Gently place onto the pan and repeat, leaving room so that the patties don't touch.
5. Check the bottom of a patty for browning after about 4 minutes. Once a nice crust has formed, holding the patty together well, carefully flip each patty and wait for the other side to brown (2-3 minutes/side).
6. Make tartar sauce by folding together mayonnaise and relish. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Toast hamburger buns while making the last few patties. Spoon tartar sauce on either side of bun, add patty, and enjoy! Serve with your favorite greens for a well-rounded meal.